Windows 8 Activation #FAIL
So I built my media server however the activation key on my purchased Windows 8 Pro Install discs wouldn’t allow me to activate it. Below is what you can do to bypass this and allow your legitimate activation key to work.
Below is the error that was thrown even though I installed Windows 8 Pro directly from that disc.
Your key is an update only key… meaning it won’t allow a fresh install… unless you do the registry workaround from Windows 7.
- Open Run and type: “Regedit”
- Then located the following key:
- Find the key named “MediaBootInstall”
- Double click and change it from a 1 to a 0.
- Open cmd as an administrator.
- Type the command “slmgr /rearm”
- You will get a window asking to restart your computer, restart it.
- Open Run and type “slui.exe 3” and a windows will appear allowing you to enter your key.